Today's post is written by Jenny Phillips who specialises in supporting cancer patients with diet and lifestyle interventions. She herself recovered from breast cancer over 10 years ago.
Jenny has kindly shared a recipe with us which is perfect for the summer season...
Here’s a tasty treat which is good for you too! This delicious recipe is easy to make, gluten free and packed with protein from ground almonds and eggs. There is natural sweetness from the banana and this is supplemented with xylitol, a sugar alcohol that doesn’t affect blood glucose levels. And because it’s so satisfying you’ll be less likely to over indulge too. A little bit of what you fancy can indeed do you good. Enjoy!
150g coconut oil or butter
125g 70% chocolate
2 ripe bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
30g cocoa powder
150g ground almonds
200g walnuts, chopped
One 9 inch square cake tin, lined.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Cream the oil and xylitol together using a wooden spoon or mixer
- Break the chocolate into a bowl and melt by placing it over a pan of boiling water or place it in a steamer for a few minutes
- Mash the bananas with the vanilla extract. Beat the eggs in a bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl- almonds, baking powder, cocoa and walnuts
- Add each of the wet to the dry ingredients, stir to combine well
- Pour into the lined cake tin and bake for 20-25 mins or until spongy to the touch
- Cool and cut into squares before serving
To find out more about Jenny and the work she does at Inspired Nutrition, please visit the website.
Find more of Jenny's creations on the recipes page.