Sunday 5 March 2017

My Work Experience at Yes To Life - Anna Jevons

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Anna Jevons and I am a 14 year old, year 10 student from Highgate Wood Comprehensive. This week has been my much anticipated work experience week and I have been fortunate enough to have been placed with the Yes To Life charity. 

Monday morning began well, as instead of reaching for the usual school uniform I examined my wardrobe to find something that would fit the ‘smart/casual’ brief. After several changes, I was finally satisfied with my reflection in the mirror and headed for the tube. Living in London, I have been on the tube many times, but normally at weekends. This felt different. Instead of my usual 5-minute walk to school with friends, I found myself being caught up in the crowds of people, all seeming in a real rush to get where they needed to be. On exiting the tube, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people walk with such purpose. I walked on feeling a mix of excitement and nervous anticipation.

As soon as I arrived at the office, I was warmly welcomed by Sue, the Executive Director and Jane, the Junior Executive and instantly felt the friendly atmosphere. After hearing all about the charity’s aims, including changing attitudes and making integrative cancer care readily available, I felt thoroughly passionate about bettering the care for cancer patients. The pride these ladies take in their work is truly inspiring. I absolutely love that there’s a genuine impetus and motivation behind his company, that being Bryony Daly, who died at the age of 23 after suffering from a rare and highly malignant muscle tumour. Yes To Life keeps her name alive as it strives to accommodate the health and happiness of its beneficiaries.

At once I was keen to start working on the admin tasks I had been set and found them challenging yet incredibly engaging. Sue and Jane were extremely generous in taking the time to run through everything with me. It was only day 2 and I felt like I had learned so much already. For instance I’m sure the excel skills I’ve been taught, will be useful for any future career I embark on. Perhaps the most emotional part of work so far occurred when organising past files of patients, some of whom who had sadly lost their battle against cancer. In addition to witnessing these harsh realities, reading through the files also allowed me to witness the uplifting determination of many of the charity’s beneficiaries. This charity is really making a difference to hundreds of beneficiaries’ lives!

Although my work has been predominately office based, I did get to run an errand for Sue, which took me to a hipster juice bar/bicycle shop. It ended up with me pumping up a gym ball in the street, much to the amusement of passers-by. This was all to ensure the executives kept their posture whilst working for the cause! I’d like to thank Sue and Jane for giving me this opportunity which I’ve found so rewarding and hope the charity continues to flourish and go from strength to strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.