Friday 18 December 2015

My change in direction after a cancer recurrance

Today’s post is from one of our beneficiaries who has kindly agreed to share her story. Claire, 47, from Devon took an integrative approach after suffering a recurrence of cancer. 

I was diagnosed with stage 3b inflammatory breast cancer in October 2012. This is a rare form of breast cancer where there is not a lump, but a swelling and redness. I was completely in shock after my diagnosis, as it was also found that the cancer had spread to lymph nodes under my arm. My children were five and seven at the time, and I was so worried and scared that I would not be around to see them grow up.

I had seven rounds of chemotherapy soon after diagnosis, followed by a mastectomy and three weeks of radiotherapy. I then had herceptin every three weeks for two years.

Unfortunately this was not the end of the story. I had a recurrence in my neck two years later in October 2014, which was treated with six months of Kadcyla chemotherapy.

I found chemotherapy very difficult, in fact the whole hospital experience I found very distressing. After my last six months of chemotherapy it was found that the tumours in my neck had doubled in size, so I knew that it was definitely not working! I then decided to refuse any more chemotherapy.

I have changed my diet to raw vegan and I take lots of supplements including graviola, grape seed extract, boswellier and cucurmin. I also eat 30 raw apricot seeds a day and have recently started taking Low dose naltrexone.

My last scan results showed that my tumours had reduced in size by around 20%. This has happened since stopping chemotherapy and continuing with my supplements. I believe this has happened because of the cumulative effect of all my alternative treatments.

I was looking for organisations who could help me look into a more holistic approach to cancer treatments, and came across Yes to Life.

I called the helpline. The lady who I spoke to was extremely helpful, kind and very understanding. I told her a little of what I had been through since diagnosis and she arranged for a telephone consultation with Patricia Peat.

I found the consultation extremely helpful. I was sent a pack containing all the information discussed in the telephone conversation which was really useful and something I still refer to.

Yes to Life are now supporting me with funding and this is invaluable. We are on a low income and without Yes to Life's help I would not be able to purchase the supplements I take. I use the funding to pay for grape seed extract, boswellier, curcumin and Immune Assist tablets.

I am eternally grateful for this funding and words can't describe how much this has meant to me and my family.

The work of Yes to Life has enabled me to buy supplements that have helped reduce the tumours I have and for this I cannot thank them enough. I am happier now than I have been in a very long time. If I had not found Yes to Life I would not have heard of the different alternatives and approaches and would more than likely be in a lot worse place than I am now.

Yes to Life are an amazing charity and are helping so many people. In a world where alternative approaches are often frowned upon it is so refreshing to find a charity that doesn't just inform you of the different options, but actually helps with the funding which is so important to a lot of people.

With awareness rising and demand for our services at an all-time high we need your backing more than ever.  Donate today and help us support more people like Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.